An entire family group who were removed from a Carnival cruise after a brawl overnight were involved in other incidents during a 10-day South Pacific cruise, Carnival Australia says.
The company confirmed that the 23 people taken off the Carnival Legend by police were members of an extended family that became involved in “violent and disruptive acts” onboard about 1:30am.
Police boarded the vessel, anchored off Eden on the NSW far south coast on Friday, after the captain of the Legend refused to take the group any further.
Carnival Australia president Sture Myrmell told reporters in Sydney that the company had a zero-tolerance policy to “excessive behaviour”.
We felt we had to take immediate action to remove an element that has caused the disturbance onboard the ship, and that is in line with our policy on excessive behaviour,” he said.
Vision taken by a passenger of the brawl that broke out in a restaurant area of the ship surfaced online.
The ship’s crew and security can be seen struggling to break up the fight and are seen kicking two men on the ground.
Ship staff attempted several times to stop the passenger from filming the violence.
Mr Myrmell was asked by reporters if the company’s zero tolerance to excessive behaviour extended to members of the crew.
“Excessive behaviour of all kinds is something that we do not tolerate, regardless of guests or crew members. But until we have conducted the investigation, it’s too early for us to comment,” he said.
Booting family from cruise ‘an unprecedented incident’
Jennifer Vandekreeke, vice-president and General Manager of Carnival Cruise Line. Said the decision to remove an entire family group from a cruise was “unprecedented”.
She also confirmed that the family had been involved in other incidents during the 10-day South Pacific cruise. But did not elaborate on the nature of the incidents.
“There were limited and isolated events with the family in question,” she said.
“Disembarking a family from a cruise is an unprecedented incident.
“It is always our last resort.”
NSW police said they were investigating a fight between several men onboard the cruise ship which occurred while it was about 220 kilometres off the coast of Jervis Bay.
Police said six men and three teenage boys were removed from the ship and that a further 14 passengers, including women and children, also left the ship.
Cruise ship crew try to stop filming
Photo: Crew of the ship tried to prevent the passenger from recording the fight. (Supplied: 3AW)
The removed passengers were transported to Canberra Airport where other travel arrangements were made, police said.
Passengers were heard cheering loudly as the 23 passengers were removed from the ship.
One woman yelled that she had been mistreated on board as she was being removed.
The ship is now on its way to Melbourne.
Related: 5 Changes at Carnival Cruise Line